How To Use Honey in Your Daily and Weekly Skin and Hair Treatment with DIY – Part II
Here, in this blog we would like to share with you some Dr. Isidor Apothecary’s tips and formulas how to use honey in your daily and weekly skin and hair care.
Bee’s honey is a valuable product of nature with time-proven, universally accepted medicinal, dietary and cosmetic properties. It has some cultural and religious significance too. Honey can be used singly or in combination with other ingredients in treatment of various diseases. It also has the rare and invaluable quality of enhancing the properties and actions of the medicinal substances with which it combines. While due to its antioxidant properties bee’s honey acts as a rejuvenator, it is also an important ingredient in beauty culture as a moisturizer and a conditioner (Ediriweera E.R., Premarathna N.Y, 2012).
Dr. Isidor Apothecary DIY honey based formulas for your skin and hair care.
- Shampoo for extremely dry hair: for this formula you will need: 1 egg white, 2 egg yolk, 1 tsp. of raw dark honey, 1 tbsp. olive oil, juice of 1 lemon; gently massage this mixture into your hair and scalp, leave several minutes and rinse your hair with plenty of warm water.
- Hair elixir to recover hair shines: for this formula you will need: 1 tsp. of raw dark honey, 2 oz. of fruit vinegar, 8 oz. of water; mix ingredients and melt honey in the water; after shampooing your hair gently massage this elixir into your hair and scalp; do not rinse hair after application of this elixir.
- Facial skin care
- Facial hydrosol (water): for this formula you will need: 2 oz. rose water, ½ tsp. raw dark honey, 2 oz. witch-hazel, 10 drops of chamomile essential oil; warm rose water and dissolve honey, add witch-hazel and chamomile essential oil; store in dark bottle; after every morning and evening deep facial skin cleaning apply this facial water on cotton pad and gently massage your facial skin, do not forget your neck area too.
- Facial mask: for this formula you will need: 1 oz. sweet almond oil, 1 oz. witch-hazel, 1 oz. calendula/marigold flower powder, 1 oz. raw dark honey, 2 oz. almond bran; mix all ingredients into the form of a cream; wash your face and apply this formula on your facial skin, neck and upper chest; leave for about 1 hour; rinse with plenty of warm water.
- Facial mask for oily skin: for this formula you will need: 1 apple, 1 tbsp. raw dark honey; mix ingredients and apply on your clean face and leave the mask for about 20 minutes; rinse the face with warm water.
- Facial mask: for this formula you will need: water as needed, 1 full palm of sunflower seeds, 1 tsp. raw dark honey, 1 tsp. sweet almond oil; pilled sunflower seeds grind, warm a little bit water and melt honey, add grinded sunflower seeds and make creamy mixture, if the mixture requires more water add a little bit more water, apply the creamy mixture on your clean face and leave the mask for about 30 minutes, rinse your facial skin with warm water.
- Oil tonic for neck skin rejuvenation: this formula is for weekly treatment; for this formula you will need: 3 tsp. of sweet almond oil, 3 tsp of raw dark honey; mix ingredients, slightly warm mixture and ply the mixture by using brush; wrap your neck area by moist cotton cloth and leave it for about 1 hour. This formula can be successfully implemented by using avocado oil as well.
- Lip balm: for this formula you will need: 0.35 oz. beeswax, 1 oz. jojoba oil, 1 tsp raw dark honey; in double boiler melt beeswax and add jojoba oil, add honey; mix well, store the balm in small jars.
- Hand / Body Skin Care
- Moisturizing Night Hand Cream: for this formula you will need: 2 oz. raw dark honey, 4 oz. lanolin, 2 oz. sweet almond oil; use double boiler to melt honey and mix melted honey with lanolin; add sweet almond oil; store in porcelain or dark glass jars. This is highly hydrating hand cream for night and it is excellent treatment for extremely dry hand skin, also it is highly recommended for fall / winter season as hand moisturizer.
- Cleopatra’s milk and honey bath: for this formula you will need: 1 gallon of whole milk, 4 oz. raw dark honey; warm milk and melt honey, pour this mixture in the bath tub full of water and mix all together.
- After shower/bath body tonic: for this formula you will need: 4 tbsp. dry lavender, 4 oz. 50% alcohol, 12 oz. distilled water, 1 tbsp. raw dark honey, 4 drops of lavender essential oil; mix dry lavender with alcohol and keep it for 4 weeks in a dark place; drain and remove all lavender; warm distilled water and melt honey, add lavender essential oil, mix this part with alcohol part, mix well and keep the solution in dark bottle. This aromatic tonic will increase circulation in your body and your skin.
We mentioned raw and dark honey is probably the best option for cosmetic use. Usually raw, unfiltered raw honey can only be purchased directly from the bee farm. Characterized by fine textured crystals, it looks cloudier and contains particles and flecks made of bee pollen, honeycomb bits, propolis, and even broken bee wing fragments. Raw and unfiltered honey and has a high antioxidant level and will usually granulate and crystallize to a thick consistency after a few months. However, as most consumers are naturally attracted to buying and eating crystal clear and clean honey, unfiltered honey which looks cloudy and unappealing, is not commercially available on supermarket shelves. Thus, the best option is to go to the local farmer’s market and find raw honey from local bee farms. Raw honey is pure, unheated, unpasteurized and unprocessed honey. Of course, we do not recommend it for internal ingestion, however for external applications should be fine; it simply up to you. If you do not like a raw honey, simply buy the pasteurized and processed honey for the facial skin treatment. Raw honey preserves all the natural vitamins, enzymes, phytonutrients and other nutritional elements.
Ediriweera E.R., Premarathna N.Y., Medicinal and cosmetic uses of Bee’s Honey – A review. Ayu. (An International Quarterly Journal of Research in Ayurveda) 2012 Apr; 33 (2):178-82.